Friday, February 26, 2010

Out and About


So instead of going home and checking specific gravities, racking to and fro, bottling, kegging, or cleaning. I decided to take the night off. The http://uprightbrewingblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/tasting-room-happenings.html + the http://www.maxsfannocreek.com/events.asp was my mission. Ever since I first read about this elusive "Oyster Stout" I've wanted to taste one. "The Murky Pearl" is one that seems out of reach, but here in PDX I have a good feeling I'll taste it soon. Upright's was easy with their well advertised release party. This was my first visit to their tasting room, and though the venue is small the brewery itself is larger than life. The elusive search for the right hallway/doorway to the brewhouse is half the fun. I followed the sweet smell of mashed grain, fermentation, and the raucous from the basement. The wait in line was well worth it. Pouring the beer was none other than Ezra. I got one glass of the stout, and a bottle to age of course. I've "tasted" this beer a hundred thousand times in my head over the last couple of weeks. The one that I actually held in my hand, and imbibed was more than I had imagined. Smooth and malty, but more bitter than I had expected. A clean aromatic nose was all I found. The oyster aroma was not there. The oyster flavor was hidden, far off in the distance like a memory you had almost forgotten about. The most amazing quality(to me) was the mineral background that I had never tasted before. I spoke briefly with the very busy, Alex Ganum about my own oyster stout and promised him a bottle. I met a few new people, and caught up with some regulars from the store as well. Next on the agenda was the opening night of Fanno Creek's Winter Beerfest. I only sampled a few beers, but I'm pouring on Sunday so I know I'll have plenty of time to taste 'em all. One of the brewers from Mt. Tabor Brewing was kind enough to talk to me about the Rocket Dog Blonde. An absolutely outstanding beer that gets me all worked up over a fucking delicious 7.5% abv. "light beer". Very clean and WAY too easy too drink! I saw more people, especially women(no offense), lean toward this beer after a few too many big burly winter warmers. Jason Webb, as always, was the most gracious host, and to see so many people I know all at one place enjoying a passion for beer makes me happy. I also want to thank Jeff Alworth for giving me an honorable mention on his blog. All in all I'd have to say this was another awesome fucking day. Thank you everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment