Thursday, May 13, 2010

King Harvest

Last year at spring time I was really excited about fruit beers, because I started brewing in the winter of 2008, and there was no more fruit to be had. One of my first(and favorites) was the watermelon wheat. A regular beer with a 50/50 wheat/barley base, and a shitload of watermelon. Last years batch had a 20lb watermelon(without the rind of course) pureed and added in primary. This year all I could find were 2 15lb watermelons, so I decided to just go for it. I also tried to weigh all the rind that I cut off, but my scale does not go that high. I added the puree about 3 days after I initially pitched the yeast, because I kept getting home after 10:00 pm every day, and I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't appreciate my blender whirring for a half an hour while they're trying to sleep. It might work out for the best, seeing as how the yeast will have a bit of a head start.

No comments:

Post a Comment